"...mucking it up with one or more noisy, smelly, expensive, messy, self-centered ungrateful brats?"
This is what makes us parents angry at those who are childless by choice.
You were once a noisy, smelly, expensive, messy, self-centered ungrateful brat yourself, and yet here you are...
I don't mind if you say that you don't want to have children of your own because they require a lot of energy and care and time and money, but saying nasty things about children in general is just rude.
Are my children-
- Noisy? Sometimes.
- Smelly? Rarely. You probably smell worse, since children's sweat is basically odorless.
- Expensive? Only because we have them in daycare. If I had them at home, having the two of them would cost substantially less than the cost of a car each month.
- Messy? Sometimes, but even my almost-2 cleans up when reminded.
- Self-Centered? Sometimes, but aren't we all self-centered sometimes? I certainly didn't think it showed self-centeredness when my 3.5-year-old saw me crying and patted me on the back and said "shhh. it's ok mommy" Sometimes, she's the most caring and giving child in the world.
- Ungrateful - Yep, they're often ungrateful, but sometimes, you give them some tiny thing and they run at you to hug you and their gratitude is worth more than a thousand "thank you" notes.
- Brats - My kids aren't brats. Neither parent is career military. (I'm an army brat, so... that's what a brat is to me)
But don't dare badmouth my kids. Or my choices.