Friday, May 11, 2007

The Pancakes of Doom.

Since right after Passover, I've been craving pancakes or waffles. So yesterday, I finally bought syrup (let's face it, pancakes without syrup aren't even worth it)...

This morning, I woke up, got Yaakov to sift some flour (I really don't like sifting flour), and mixed up a batch of pancake batter.

Somehow, on the third pancake, I put in too much oil, and when I was flipping it, the oil sprayed up into my face! I got my face into cold water immediately, but hot oil is powerful stuff.

I kept my face in a wet towel (Yaakov asked why I didn't use a bucket of cold water... I think that my increasing girth has finally convinced him that I am a whale, complete with blow-hole on the top of my head...) and then I went to the doctor. Turned out that there was a dermatologist in the office who saw me right away and told me to take whatever painkillers I can take when I'm pregnant, keep the cold compress on, and put a cream on the burns (he gave me the prescription for the cream.)

I put cream on, went home, took painkillers, and slept with the towel on my face. I woke up feeling a good bit better, but I'm still feeling kind of out of it, and I have several blisters/craters on my face from the burn.

So remember folks, not too much oil in your pancakes.

howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllls
t.c.

5 comments:

RaggedyMom said...

Oy! Refuah Shleima! That is scary! But I do love pancakes . . .

luckluster said...

Ouch.

You flip the pancakes in the air by hurling the pan? I always thought it's professional and never thought it's dangerous - although I prefer flipping pancakes in the more conservative way of using a kitchen utensil..

Anonymous said...

Feel better..and consider investing in a teflon pan and some Pam (the spray stuff).

mother in israel said...

I don't know if this was a factor in the accident, but pregnancy can set you off-balance.

Leah Goodman said...

yaron, no. I used a spatula and dropped the half-cooked pancake into the oil, causing a splatter.

MominIsrael: I think it was mainly the fact that there was too much oil.