Friday, April 01, 2011

Some Thoughts on Dieting

So here are some things I've learned, in no specific order:

1. Never eat anything that doesn't taste good. If I eat a food that doesn't taste good, I feel like I need a do-over for the meal, so I will eat something that does taste good, meaning the first food was just a total waste of calories.

2. Eat things that take a long time to eat. An artichoke is very little food, but it takes forever to eat, so two artichokes takes longer than a meal, leaving me feeling like I ate a very big meal.

3. 100 calories per 100 grams... I aim to eat foods that are 100 calories or less per 100 grams. The fewer calories per 100 grams, the better. I love the yogurt drinks. The melon flavored one is 58 calories per 100 grams. The peanut butter is 111cal/100g. If I drink a 500 ml drink, that's a difference of  265 calories, and I really am just as full. The peanut butter one does satisfy certain cravings though.... It's hard to remind myself how much those calories mean.

4. I eat real sugar. I tried agave, b/c it has a lower glycemic index. Unfortunately, it's less sweet, so you need more, and the calorie count is just as high. Plus it's loads more expensive. Sometimes, I'll use nutrasweet for something, but it does feel like deprivation, and deprivation is a lousy feeling.

5.  I haven't learned to listen to my body yet. I still feel like I'm always hungry or at least could always eat. I almost never feel full because I don't allow myself to eat to that point - though soups help, because if a soup is relatively healthy, I'll allow myself pretty close to unlimited amounts of soup, even if it has lentils or barley in it. 

6. The scale is unreliable. If I weigh myself twice in an hour, it says different numbers...

7. Some of my clothes are already fitting better! 

8. It's been 6 weeks, which feels like a bazillion years, roughly speaking.

9. I don't like fish very much. In the early stages, I tried making fish, but I really didn't like it. 

10. When I drink water through a straw, I drink much much more water. 

No comments: