Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday - Why Eating Dairy Out is a Bad Idea

Sunday was my anniversary. It was also Yaakov's anniversary by some odd coincidence. We decided to go out, but it didn't work out on Sunday. Today, I had an *interview over the phone, so I had to get a babysitter to watch my kids and keep them from making the interview impossible. Since we already had a babysitter when Yaakov got home, he decided that we should go out.

The problem is that Yaakov keeps mehadrin and there are no meat mehadrin restaurants in Modiin. So we went to a cafe. Cafe Cafe to be precise. Yaakov had the tuna salad, which sounds all healthy until you see how much tuna and how much mayonnaise is in that tuna. I had the shakshuka, which isn't really bad - it's tomatoes and tomato sauce and peppers and two eggs, served with fresh cut tomato and cucumber on the side. The problem is the bread. They give you a smallish loaf. each. My **compromises were that I got the whole wheat (I strongly prefer white), and I left about an inch of it uneaten. I did spread a little butter on it, but I had less than half a pat, and a pat is 36 calories...

All in all, I'm not sure if it's actually worse than the steak, baked potato, and salad I would have had in a meat restaurant, but it was so much less exciting and filling. 

*I think the interview went pretty well. The company does interesting things, so I'm kind of psyched about it.

**compromises: I was given a piece of advice by a dietitian. She said that whenever you eat, you should always compromise on something, give up something. I don't buy it for most of what I eat, since most of what I eat is genuinely healthy, and there's no reason I can't allow myself a full cup of strawberries or whatever...


Today's Food:
Breakfast: yogurt drink
lunch: coffee
dinner: shakshuka with salad and bread and a tiny bit of butter.

2 comments:

Bethami said...

next time walk to kapulsky's. aren't they mehadrin? i've really enjoyed it every time i've gone.

funny - my security word is "panted". something *you* won't do walking to kapulsky's cuz your'e in such great shape ;)

Rona Michelson said...

Kol HaKavod! Excellent job! Keep it up!