Wednesday, May 11, 2011

All of It

I'm at the point that I can eat responsibly even without posting every morsel that enters my mouth, so I've been blogging less. Someone complained that he missed it. Thanks! 

In Stephen King's On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition: A Memoir of the Craft, he talks about his drinking. He says that a man goes to a doctor and says "I have a drinking problem," and the doctor asks "How much do you drink?" The man replies "All of it." When I read that, I didn't quite get it, but now I do.

Today, I went out with a friend, and we got yogurts with muesli and coffee. While we were sitting there, a woman came in and got some sort of roll with jelly. The roll was fairly small, but she still left a piece of it when she left. I turned to my friend and asked "How does she do that? How can you leave a piece of food?" 

I think that's one of my major issues - I eat all of it. It doesn't matter what it is. I finish it. A serving isn't the recommended serving size. A serving is whatever is available. When I first got married, I would make a pound of pasta, and Yaakov would eat half and I'd eat the other half. These days, I cook half of the pound. If I cook more, it won't leave leftovers; we'll simply eat more. 

Portion control is a huge issue for me. I'm learning to work around it. Mainly, I'm making sure that "all of it" is a reasonable amount for me to eat.

No comments: