Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Continuing.

It's hard to write after a post like the last one. Anything I have to say seems trivial when I compare it to the loss of a really special person. On the other hand, this blog isn't intended to be a memorial to Dr. Rudoff (Z"L). And, if I did that, I would know that she was looking down on me from above and absolutely loathing me. She wasn't an attention-hungry person.

So I have to continue. This Shabbat, I finished a book called Round Robin. It's the second in a series. I highly recommend reading The Quilter's Apprentice first. The books talk about life in a small town, but concern a whole plethora of other issues.

The first book begins with Sarah, a young wife who gave up a well-paying but unsatisfying job to follow her husband's career path in a small town. Struggling to get a new job, she accepts a temporary position helping Sylvia, a difficult old lady, prepare her estate to be sold. In exchange, Sylvia helps Sarah learn how to quilt. Through quilting, Sarah and Sylvia start to heal their hurts, including a long-ago rift between Sylvia and the only family she has. Filled with gentle language, real problems, beautiful descriptions, and a few surprises along the way, The Quilter's Apprentice is a really special book.

t.c.

No comments: